Know The Facts:
- 1/3 of all independently living Canadian Seniors experience at least one fall each year.
- Every 10 minutes in Ontario at least one senior
will visit the Emergency Department after a fall.
- Every 30 minutes in Ontario at least one senior will be admitted to the hospital due to a fall.
- The fall related injury rate is 9 times greater in seniors in comparison to those less than 65 years of age.
- Medications used to treat Alzheimer’s patients also predisposes them to fainting/falling.
- Falls cause 90% hip fractures.
- Families find it difficult to care for someone following a fall and 40% of all long term care admissions are fall related.
- Following a fall, people, may lose their confidence, limit participation in meaningful functional activities and this may lead to social withdrawal, functional and health decline, future falls and more serious negative consequences.